Careers are the sequence, status, level and experience of work, position or position of a person both in the company, organization and freelance, so that demands responsibility and better work ability. Careers can also be interpreted as the interaction of activities undertaken and chosen from a variety of opportunities related to the interaction of individuals with organizations and their social environment. Career is closely related to work, work and position. Work with a basic concept that refers to something done because of his desires with the expectation of being accepted. Work is a position of employment in a position, maybe we can do a lot of work in a position, because work produces the money we need to meet our daily needs or to do the things we want. Position is an occupation and a profession that may change for some time throughout the life of a worker.
There are three aspects to career planning, which are as follows:
1. Knowledge and self-understanding, namely knowledge and understanding of talent, interests, personality, potential, academic achievement, coordination, limitations, and supported resources.
2. Knowledge and understanding of the world of work, namely knowledge of the requirements and requirements needed for success in a job, the advantages and disadvantages, compensation, opportunities, and work development in various fields in the world of work.
3. Reasoning Focusing on the Relationship of Knowledge and Self-Understanding to Knowledge and Understanding of the World of Work, namely the Ability to make Criminal Thinking in Challenges or Choosing areas of work and / or further education that discusses knowledge and self-understanding relating to the knowledge and understanding of the world of work which are available.
Career Development Factors
Career development is a condition that indicates an increase in the status of a person in an organization on the career path that has been set in the organization. There are seven factors that affect a person’s career development, as follows:
1. Satisfactory work performance. The starting point of career development is that someone is doing his job to carry out the tasks entrusted to him. Without satisfactory work performance, it is difficult for a worker to be suggested by his supervisor to be considered for promotion to a higher job or position in the future.
2. Introduction by other parties. What is meant here is that various parties have the authority to decide whether or not a person is to be promoted such as a direct superior and the head of the staffing department who knows the ability and work performance of employees.
3. Loyalty to the organization. It is the dedication of an employee who wants to continue working in the organization where he works for a long time.
4. Counselors and sponsors. Guidance is a person who provides advice or suggestions to employees in an effort to develop their career. While the sponsor is someone in the company who can create opportunities for employees to develop their careers.
5. Support of subordinates. It is the support given by subordinates in the form of the success of the manager’s task.
6. Opportunity to grow. Is an opportunity given to employees to improve their abilities, both through training, courses, and also continue their education.
7. Stop at your own request and will. It is an employee’s decision to stop working and switch to another company that provides greater opportunities to develop a career.
Forms of Career Development
The form of career development depends on the career path planned by each company or organization. However, generally the forms of career development chosen by a company or organization include the following:
a. education and training
Education and training is a company activity that is intended to improve and develop the attitudes, behavior, skills and knowledge of employees according to the wishes of the company concerned.
Promotion is a change of position or position from a lower level to a higher level, this change will usually be followed by an increase in one’s responsibilities, rights, and social status.
Mutations are part of the process of activities that can develop one’s position or status in an organization. Mutation in the narrow sense is a change from a position in a class to a position in another class of which level is not higher or lower (of the same level) in the salary plan. Whereas in a broader sense mutation is a change in position / position / place / work carried out both horizontally and vertically (promotion / demotion) within an organization.